We’ve got quite a selection this week, beginning with the mega blockbuster hit Man of Steel, along with DreamWorks Animation’s Turbo, a slew of smaller, critically acclaimed films, and a couple of worthy reissues. On the TV side, there’s the complete series for Showtime’s hit drama Dexter, the first season of Last Tango in Halifax, and a pair of older complete series collections. Read on for the full list:
Also available this week:
- German import Barbara (93%), a Cold War thriller about a woman in East Germany plotting to escape and meet her lover in the West.
- French-Lebanese import The Attack (90%), an adaptation of a Yasmina Khadra novel about an Israeli Palestinian surgeon whose life is thrown into turmoil when he’s told his wife is the perpetrator of a devastating suicide bombing.
- David Gordon Green’s Prince Avalanche (83%), starring Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch in a dramedy about two men who bond as they paint traffic lines together on a wooded highway.
- Ip Man: The Final Fight (63%), another martial arts biopic of the legendary Wing Chun master, who this time must deal with the dark underworld of the Triads.
- Diablo Cody’s directorial debut Paradise (20%), starring Julianne Hough and Octavia Spencer in a comedy about a sheltered country girl who heads to Las Vegas for an adventure.
- The first season of Last Tango in Halifax (100%) is available.
- The complete series of 1980s sitcom Family Ties is available on DVD.
- The complete collection of popular undercover police show The Mod Squad is available in a giant 39-DVD set.
- A new 25th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD combo pack of iconic anime Akira (87%) is available, with a wide selection of special features pulled from various previous releases.
- And lastly, Criterion is also releasing a new Blu-ray/DVD combo for the classic Charlie Chaplin film City Lights (98%), with archival production footage, a 2003 documentary, an excerpt from Chaplin’s 1915 short The Champion, and more attached.