This weekend at the movies, we’ve got Michael Bay (allegedly) bidding farewell to the blockbuster Transformers saga with its fifth installment (Transformers: The Last Knight, starring Mark Wahlberg and Anthony Hopkins). What are the critics saying?
toy line was all about delivering fun that was “more than meets the eye,” but the live-action films it’s spawned have focused on visual thrills above all else — to their continued critical detriment and vast financial gain. It’s obviously too soon to tell what the box office holds for the fifth installment in the series, but as far as the critics are concerned, this weekend’s Transformers: The Last Knight
offers more of the same; instead of serving up relatable characters or a compelling, sensible story, it races from one boffo, CGI-driven set piece to the next, using Anthony Hopkins and Merlin the Wizard to continue building the franchise’s vast alien robot mythology. Judging from the way the past Transformers features
have performed, that’s just fine with audiences — and if you’ve enjoyed the Michael Bay-helmed saga thus far, there’s little reason to expect your mileage will vary much this time out. Plan accordingly, but don’t say we didn’t warn you.
What’s New on TV
With spot-on 1980s period detail, knockout writing, and a killer cast, GLOW shines brightly.
Also Opening This Week In Limited Release
- Inversion (Varoonegi) (2017) , a dramatic look at traditional gender roles in Iran through one woman’s battle to maintain control of her life, is at 100 percent.
- Nowhere To Hide (2017) , a documentary taking viewers inside a family’s harrowing experiences in a war-torn area of Iraq, is at 100 percent.
- Paulina (La patota) (2017) , about a woman’s dangerous uphill battle to do relief work in a poverty-stricken indigenous community, is at 100 percent.
- The Big Sick (2017) , starring Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan as a couple whose budding relationship is complicated by cultural concerns and a life-threatening illness, is Certified Fresh at 97 percent.
- Nobody Speak: Trials of the Free Press (2017) , a documentary look at the dangers facing the Fourth Estate in modern America, is at 94 percent.
- In Pursuit of Silence (2017) , a documentary about noise’s impact on modern life and the potential value of seeking out silence, is at 94 percent.
- The Ornithologist (O ornitólogo) (2017) , about a man who faces death — among other things — during a grueling trek through the wilderness, is at 83 percent.
- The Beguiled (2017) , about the sexually charged chaos that erupts when a Civil War soldier is taken in by the residents of a Southern girls’ school, is at 73 percent.
- The Bad Batch (2017) , about a woman kidnapped by cannibals in a lawless wasteland, is at 45 percent.