After several so-so weeks of home releases, we’ve finally got one really worth talking about. Not only do we have a Tom Cruise sci-fi actioner, but we’ve also got one of the best-reviewed movies of the summer. Then we’ve got a feelgood musical bio, a dark family drama, a powerful documentary, and Terrence Malick’s latest. Still not enough for you? There’s also Eli Roth’s survival horror flick, Brandon “Son Of” Cronenberg’s body horror thriller, Walter Salles’s Kerouac adaptation, and a handful of notable reissues. Read on for the full list:
Also available this week:
- Brandon Cronenberg’s Antiviral (65%), about a doctor who illegally sells celebrity diseases until he’s infected by one whose original host died of mysterious circumstances.
- Walter Salles’s Jack Kerouac adaptation On the Road (45%), starring Kristen Stewart, Garrett Hedlund, and Sam Riley.
- The Eli Roth-produced Nicolás López film Aftershock (37%), about a group of travelers stuck in a chaotic Chile town after a devastating earthquake.
- A Blu-ray release of Silver Streak (88%), the first of several comic collaborations between Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.
- A Collector’s Edition Blu-ray of A Boy and His Dog (77%), the 1975 adaptation of the Harlan Ellison novel about a telepathic boy (Don Johnson) in a post-apocalyptic future who is sought after by a secret underground civilization.
- Disney is releasing more of its animated films on Blu-ray, including The Sword in the Stone (74%), Robin Hood (52%), and Oliver & Company (44%).